Crowning one rib at a time

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Aug 4 17:15:08 MDT 2008

Hi Terry.  Yes, tho you used pneumatic presses yes ?  Just comparing
notes really as usual... you know me :)  So far, I like the looks of
those aluminum bars that David Love came up with best... tho I've yet to
try ribbing my own panel so its hard to say what the experience would
point me towards.  First time around I suppose I'd be all worried about
the ribs slipping and sliding around and would want some fix idea for
how to dead on prevent that.

Finnally getting the French Polish on that Bluthner finished.  I got so
much <<standard>> work to do all the time I never get the time to finish
the darn project.  Action got finally re-furbished this summer.... tho I
still am unsure as to what to do about the keybed falling away just
under the front rail.  I have for the time being a rather thick piece of
spruce shimming tacked on under the front rail of the action to make
solid contact so essentially the keyframe is bedded well enough.  But
really the keybed should come off and be replaced.

I suppose at some point I'm going to have to decide to jump in with all
fours into rebuilding (which I actually do enjoy immensely) or leave it
and stay on concert prep & tuning work and action rebuilds... which is
very profitable and enjoyable as well... ahhh... always some annoying
choice thing out there in front of you... :)

Cheers
RicB

    Richard - that's basically how your Bluthner laminated board was ribbed.

    Terry Farrell

         > Ah... so its not so much a matter of crowning the board
        itself  rib by rib
         > as it is a matter of installing ribs one at a time due to
        space concerns
         > and the ability to reposition ribs on the fly...  yes ??  I
        understand you
         > dry your panels down quite a bit before installing the ribs.
        How much