Crowning one rib at a time

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 16:19:57 MDT 2008

> Hi Terry.  Yes, tho you used pneumatic presses yes ?

Yes.

> Just comparing notes really as usual... you know me :)  So far, I like the
> looks of those aluminum bars that David Love came up with best...

David's are real nice as I recall (been a while....). If you are
contemplating building a couple presses, check out Will Truits and Jude
Reveley's - they also made their's with metal frames - much less bulky than
mine - very nice indeed.

> tho I've yet to try ribbing my own panel so its hard to say what the
> experience would point me towards.  First time around I suppose I'd be all
> worried about the ribs slipping and sliding around and would want some fix
> idea for how to dead on prevent that.

Tear a rib off your Bluthner - out towards the ends of the ribs, you'll find
a short section of small bridge pin half way through the panel and rib.
Works like a charm. Get 'em in the right place at first, and you are home
free. Without some sort of pins, you can shoot a rib clear across the shop -
trust me!

> Finnally getting the French Polish on that Bluthner finished.  I got so
> much <<standard>> work to do all the time I never get the time to finish
> the darn project.  Action got finally re-furbished this summer.... tho I
> still am unsure as to what to do about the keybed falling away just under
> the front rail.  I have for the time being a rather thick piece of spruce
> shimming tacked on under the front rail of the action to make solid
> contact so essentially the keyframe is bedded well enough.  But really the
> keybed should come off and be replaced.
>
> I suppose at some point I'm going to have to decide to jump in with all
> fours into rebuilding (which I actually do enjoy immensely) or leave it
> and stay on concert prep & tuning work and action rebuilds... which is
> very profitable and enjoyable as well... ahhh... always some annoying
> choice thing out there in front of you... :)

Pleasant problems indeed!

Terry Farrell