Customer Complaint on Tuning

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 10 20:44:03 MDT 2008

Will-

Yes, this is rather common with musicians.

Another condition is Diplacusis binauralis. The ears "go out of tune." A tuning fork will seem to change pitch as you move it from one ear to the other, and within each ear octaves will sound out of tune. The second and third partials will sound like they come from other instruments, out of tune. Music is impossible with this condition. It may explain what's happening when a customer complains that notes in octave 5 and 6 are out-of-tune. It may effect a broad range of hearing, or just a few pitches.

Ed