Essex Uprights

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Aug 14 03:49:41 MDT 2008

Hi Paul, Gregor.

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm a bit surprised this didn't prompt more
replies myself really given the fact we are talking about "They that
Shall not be Named". Seriously tho, the little feedback I have (and this
really applies to Boston as well) is that they are too expensive for
what they are competing for. As in quite a bit to much expensive. I cant
get a-hold of a dealers price list so  I have no way at the moment of
assessing how much it costs a dealer to buy in, transport and service
any of these. But I get the feeling that they are also rather high
priced from the factory to dealership.

I've been to Oberlin a couple years back and didnt think to ask whether
they had any. Given the fact that Essex is a low level entry piano, I'd
be surprised if they had any.

Still... I'd like to get more basic feedback as to performance / costs.
Are they worth getting involved in.  I've seen one Essex upright so far
up here in the far north. A 123 I think it is. And I've seen a few
Boston uprights and grands.  I kind of like the Boston G178 and G 215
for the money. But the Boston pianos seem here in Norway a bit steep.

Cheers
RicB

    Contact any of the "All Steinway Schools" like Oberlin.  I think
    they have some. I haven't heard any great reviews of them, however....

    Paul