Customer Complaint on Tuning

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Fri Aug 15 10:22:28 MDT 2008

Voicing?  I tuned a similar piano (Baldwin console) for a French Viola major and had this same problem...  She didn't have bad hearing as her excuse though.  She called me back two days after the tuning and stated that her piano just wasn't in tune.  Bare in mind that I had performed a lot of work for half price or less (hammer shaping, screw tightening, new bridal straps and a 20-cent pitch raise) all for $200.    Thought I was doing someone a favor, same old story...  "I don't have the money to do a lot of work on the piano.  I can't stand the way it sounds and the clicking and clacking when I play it though.  Can you help me out?"  So...  Two days after tuning the piano I go on a call back to this dreaded piano.  I am expecting the worse, but what I found was quite  the contrary.  The piano sounded better than I had remembered it sounding when I left.  I took a few minutes to play all intervals and the appropriate checks for them and found a thing or two to pretend to change.  She came back and stated that she thought it was better but she thought it was still out of tune.  She complained that when she played a triad that included g 4 that the g was not in tune.  Keep in mind this is a bright peace of junk and to this point I had done no voicing (had performed to much free work already).  So, I voiced the g down, she came back and played it and declared that it was in perfect tuning.  The hole time I'm thinking, you crazy ----- you were sitting here the hole time.  You never saw me put the hammer on the pin.  Do you think my needling the hammer changed the pitch of this note?  I just don't get it some times...  I voiced a few other notes down to make her happy.  Needless to say, I wasn't paid for that work or paid anything for my time on the callback.  I never received an apology even after she understood that the tuning was not the problem.  That's what bothers me most!  I always tell customers that if they have a problem not to hesitate to call me and I'll take care of it.  OH BOY!  Some of these people...  Reminds me of another customer who  loves to pull her S&S B action out.  She thinks the strike line is off in the treble.  To date she has broken three shanks.  She calls, and I go out and put a new shank and flange on every two months or so, charge her $100 for the service call, shake my head and wonder what the hell is wrong with this picture.  I still love this business though!

Shawn Brock, RPT