Ron's soundboard MC GIzmo

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 08:02:01 MDT 2008

  List,

Dale Erwins question regarding Ron's mc meter:

>? Hey Jim
> ?Seriously. wanna make me one?Too busy to gear up & besides you already
> conquered the learning curve. Some one could make money selling these

My response:

In theory yes, but I'm afraid it would be both expensive for you and a money
loser for me unless I made a production run of them.. I'd have to see if there
is any interest.

I'll post this inquiry and see if there's any interest out there in piano land.

Any interest?
--
Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com

From: erwinspiano at aol.com

>> Coming to this thread a bit late, with a couple comments and questions.
>>
>> Gene, I went 'round robin hood's barn on this accurate, trustworthy mc
readings question. You might check  archives January '08 under "moisture
meters?" for more of the discussion.

>> As a result of that thread, I ended up building a version of Ron's
>> direct reading dial indicator gizmo...and I love it!

>> A couple of points I learned as I worked this through:

>> 1-Many of us were complaining about the inconsistent and generally weird
results
>> achieved by oven drying. That's because oven drying is defined as between
>> 215-217 deg f....a pretty narrow window. Before I calibrated Ron's gizmo,  I
>>experimented with trying to get consistent results in the oven. The answer was
>> to be fairly anal about the oven temp.

>> My oven's thermostat is out to lunch, so, not having a lab oven, and being
>> generally cheap, I calibrated the oven by:

>> -first taking a plumbers water testing thermometer's probe and placing it in
>> boiling water, marking where boiling 212 was on the dial.
>>then took a very small glass vial, like a dropper bottle, filled it with
>> vegetable oil, put the plumbers thermometer in it and put it in the oven.
When