[pianotech] Order Compensation?

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 05:26:51 PST 2008

Dear List,

I started working on a hammer replacement job for a Baldwin Grand I am working on.  The company made the bore hole too large.  I was told by the man at the company ( a company who advertises in PTG magazine and was recommended to me by some of our list ) that he didn't know why he was having this problem and that he had made the hammers without a set of shanks that I ordered from him.  Meaning I ordered shanks and hammers from him.  He had the shanks sent seperately from the other side of the country.

This is a very important job for me and my reputation.  I promised the piano would be ready by a concert date on the 21st of this month.  The company promises to get me the new hammers by Friday the 19th leaving me 1 day to get the new hammers installed and enough regulation to make the piano playable for the concert.  At this time of the year this is tough.

My question is:  though this company is (hopefully) going to replace these hammers by a date enough in advance for me to complete the job albeit roughly, should I expect some kind of monetary adjustement in the price I paid?  I now have to re-glue and replace the sample hammers, put the action stack back on, load the piano action into the car, return and replace the action in the piano, and tune the piano an extra time.  What is the consensus?  Thanks

Working on Worry Lines in Texas

Steven Hopp