[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status" (pianolover 88)

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Dec 19 15:32:32 PST 2008

It sounds like you just want to put letters after your name to sound more
qualified or more expensive. Is this true?  Why do you come on this list
and rant to those who have worked their butts off to pass the tests?? Many
have taken the test several times, have you even tried once?.  Do you just
think the PTG should just hand over the RPT registry willy nilly? NOT!

I grow tired of your rants...

PW

Duaine & Laura Hechler <dahechler at charter.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
12/19/2008 09:27 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status" (pianolover 88)

> Well, Terry, then you have no need of a credential in your personal
> business. But you see, that is not the point of professional
> credentials. The point of professional credentials is to establish
> industry-wide standards that can be publicly accepted. And
> professional credentials may not have a visible effect on the
> individual practice of a given practitioner as much as they do on the
> public image of the profession as a whole - and eventually on
> everyone's income level. And if you study the history of professions
> such as medicine, nursing, law, engineering, the construction trades,
> realty sales - just to give you samples from various walks of life -
> you will see that they went through that development of credentials or
> licensing with a resulting rise in status and overall income.
Gosh, how many different ways do I have to say this.

Yes, those industries have the professional credentials - but - they are
well know to - everyone - everywhere. And are, pretty much, required -
to get a job.

In the computer industry, there are also professional certification
which are well known - and - well used. I have lost several job
opportunities because of the lack of certification - even though - I was
in the computer business for over 24 years.

To the "average" piano owner - and - the "general average" public, RPT
don't mean squat.

Now, if my business depended on getting to RPT, then, yes, I would study
like hell and pass the tests and be done with it. But.

Now, is there an RPT like credential for, oh say, piano refinishers,
piano rebuilders, etc, and, in my case, player piano rebuilder and reed
organ rebuilder. NO.

My point being that everyone in this business, you don't - need - to be
an RPT to be a good, respectable technician and make a good, respectable
living.

To quote old Louis Armstrong from a movie "End Of Story"

Duaine