[pianotech] RPT exam?

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Dec 23 06:26:14 PST 2008

Having a decent piano is soooo important when you're learning to listen for
beats!

When I started out, I had a 1947 Aldrich consolette with an aluminum
plate....very difficult to hear anything. However, since I was studying with
Steve Brady in his Univ. of WA days, I had a host of practice pianos to work
on....some were pretty good Steinway grands.  I figured if I could tune an
Aldrich or a practice room piano with all the extra noise, I could tune
anything!  (I also learned to drive on a '46 Willys jeep..same principle; If
I could learn to drive that, I could drive anything!)  Both came true!! :>)
The fustration levels were very high during my first few months, though!

Paul

Paul,

I had a similar experience.I was trying to learn on Aeolian and Laughead
verticals that my late mentor Paul Hegent RPT was selling from his shop. I
was very discouraged until   we went to an very aging Florida resort hotel
with a very aging  6' ish Sohmer. WOW !

            The beats just jumped out at me! I still had no lever technique
and I'm sure that tuning was at best passable but I had a better
understanding of what to listen for. I also didn't hurt that I had 21 year
old ears !

Tom Driscoll