[pianotech] but will it split

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 13:15:02 PST 2008

The alleged "magic line" as described in the Renner backaction kit instructions actually interesects the underlever/keyend felt contact point at full dip, not the lever/capstan. At any rate, this will indeed often require lowering the tray, sometimes even below the dags. I've found nothing magical about this line whatsoever and have experienced no advantages from trying to achieve this geometric prerequisite. The vertical axis of the tray may simply be found by allowing the tray to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 degrees at rest and about level at full dip.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545