Accu-tuner

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat Feb 2 07:59:17 MST 2008

John:

The banter back and forth between aural/ETD tuners &
Aural-and-I-Repudiate-ETDs tuners is something that just has to come up
from time to time.  We all have a unique style and a way of going about
our work.  Under normal circumstances this "argument" would just lay
there on the floor.  To me, what makes it stand up and provoke ire is
the implied arrogance - which I'm sure you don't intend.  The unspoken
"I can do better work with my ear than you can do with your fancy,
schmancy ETD" is there, intended or not.

There is an art to what we do but in reality it is also a job.  I have
to go in this evening to tune for a concert of a world class cellist and
world class pianist.  If 3 weeks from now they want to do a little
editing of the recording I can duplicate the exact (note-for-note)
tuning I'll do tonight.  That way my "job" will work with their "art"
for the finished product.

When I started in this work concert tuning capable ETDs didn't exist.
When they became available I didn't feel the need to get one and didn't.
Now I see things that TuneLab helps me do that I find to be of value so
I have it.  If feeling you don't need an ETD helps you get out of bed in
the morning.... great!  Feeling I'm equipped to do whatever might be
called for today helps me get out of bed.  We all face the un-tuned
pianos and bring order to their chaos.  The world is a better place
however we go about it.  To each his own art and job success.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu