Accu-tuner

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:13:40 MST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 8:59 AM, Porritt, David <dporritt at mail.smu.edu> wrote:

>  To me, what makes it stand up and provoke ire is the implied arrogance –
> which I'm sure you don't intend.

Correct.  My intent is to show that all of us can, if we desire, tune as
well or better than an ETD if we will practice perfection.  And to show that
we are in some danger of losing some of our abilities when we rely
primarilyon an ETD.  And, that verifying a tuning must be done with
aural tests.  Which if we don't know said tests, we can't verify what is
preferable and why.  And if we can't say why, then we end up being
mostlyreliant on the ETD.

My experience with the Verituner100 is that I let it do all my thinking for
me.  And when I woke up from that 1.5 year-long tryst, I found that I had
lost my aural confidence.  Maybe somewhat like a substance abuser, I found
that I was craving that machine's presence.  I hope that ETD users will have
a different experience than mine.  But I don't want to experience again that
numbing inner fear after the ETD was gone.

>   The unspoken "I can do better work with my ear than you can do with your
> fancy, schmancy ETD" is there, intended or not.

I'll leave that argument to others.  What I can say from my experience with
the SAT and Verituner100 is that my aural tunings have a sort of shine and
sparkle to them that the ETDs did not consistently achieve.  I can't give
quantitative details about that now, but a friend of mine and I are planning
to get together and compare my aural tuning with the RCT.  Maybe after that,
we will have some hard numbers to talk about rather than going on inner
feelings produced by rather subjective brain stimuli.

 There is an art to what we do but in reality it is also a job.  I have to
> go in this evening to tune for a concert of a world class cellist and world
> class pianist.  If 3 weeks from now they want to do a little editing of the
> recording I can duplicate the exact (note-for-note) tuning I'll do tonight.
> That way my "job" will work with their "art" for the finished product.

Yeah, if that's a need, then that's what you gotta do.  Or just not worry
about those potential 0.2 cent differences.  <g>  Let's get real, though.
 Can we perfectly duplicate the lights and the temperature in the room,
which will have  more effect on a tuning than a 0.2 cents difference here
and there?  And, remember, I said previously that I would use a device that
could record my aural tunings as an aid to duplicating exactly what was
there before.

>   To each his own art and job success.

Amen to that! :-)

And do remember, all, that this is my friendly discussion.  I recently
reminded a few of my chapter colleagues that today's ETDs are quite capable
of producing a fine tuning.  One of my friends had the mindset that aural
tuning is "just the professional way." I don't go that far, and remind him
of that when appropriate.

--
JF