Predictability of Compression Crowning: was Soundboard stiffness variances

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 22:28:52 MST 2008

I would  guess that the Hamburg Steinway factory goes to great lengths--as
much as  anyone--to control the EMC at glue up.  While I agree this  is
anecdotal and doesn't constitute a comprehensive study, it does speak to  the
issue of variability in panel response to compression style crowning  and/or
the difficulty in environmental control during  manufacturing.
  Completely agree & doesn't 35 years of observations  count for anything?
If deductive reasoning doesn't count for something  then we should stop paying
attention.

If I am  not
mistaken, these boards are hybrids and have crowned ribs as well  suggesting
that while, presumably, there is less reliance on panel  compression, one
still can't escape it in this particular method.
  I believe you are correct & the evidence is that the  procedure has been
going a long time. i.e. the 1905 Steinway C I rebuilt 2 years  ago. Nice
objective observing dude
 Dale

David  Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net