Brentwood piano has low low keys

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 13:20:40 MST 2008

Greetings,

            Servicing a Brentwood (serial 72722) ( year?) piano (which
desparately needed a pitch raise and had some loose tuning pins), I discovered that
the keys are terribly low. There were about 1/8" worth of punchings under the
balance rail(!), and the keys are so low that the jacks dont even come in
contact with the let off buttons on a keystroke. It's capstans are turned almost
all the way up and the balance rail pins stick up about 1/4" out of the key
shoe! I could hardly believe that this got out of the factory, let alone the
dealer.
  I suspect this animal may be a "wet piano". Are these pianos notoroius for
this?  What to do? I think the answer is to shim up the entire balance
rail...what say anyone? I there anything else I should check first?

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA

Awards. Go to AOL Music.