Lubricating V-bar

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Feb 17 07:29:56 MST 2008

Subject: Lubricating V-bar

<Snip>

I applied a tiny amount of WD40 to each bass string at its bearing point

over the V-bar. To do this I used a watch oiler, which is just a very tiny

spatula.  My hope was to prevent any further rust at the bearing points, and

possibly break and prevent rust bonds.  Do you think WD40 was OK to use for

that?

      Lose the WD 40 and go to protek (IMO).Just don't let any lube of any
kind migrate to the windings.

     Actually I would clean off the plate contact point with a brass brush
and forget the lube .By the time rust becomes a factor on a new string I'll
be dead anyway.

  I regularly use protek on the plain wire plate bearing points especially
during pitch raises but you can kill a wound string with any contamination.

Best wishes,

      Tom Driscoll