Lubricating V-bar

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Feb 17 10:49:47 MST 2008

The other day, after having a wound bi-chord string break during a 25c pitch
raise, I touched the V-bar with some Protek for other strings that looked a
little rusty.  I did my best to prevent creep into the windings, but hey,
who knows what might happen, microscopically and/or over time.

I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea to carry a brass brush (another
~50grams!?!?) with me for these pianos. Would it be ideal or necessary to
lower tension on the string before brushing the V-bar?  If so, should they
be so loose as to move freely side-to-side? (I'm thinking primarily bass
strings.) Loosen a half-dozen at a time, brush, PR, lather, rinse, repeat??
Brush parallel to the strings, or parallel to the V-bar? Take precautions to
keep rusty dust from contaminating the windings??

Thanks,
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN