Valuing ourselves

Steve Brooks smbrooks at sprynet.com
Sun Feb 17 17:41:45 MST 2008

Absolutely Scott,

My observations on the type of company that benefits from Yellow Pages
advertising isn't a blind opinion, it comes from testing and
observation. It comes from working with a couple of hundred companies
who do test their advertising and track their sales leads. Of course it
was free advice to the list and I expect it to be valued that way.

You can keep a pad of paper by the phone and that's a great idea. But,
that's going to take a long time, isn't it? How many prospect calls do
you get per week? Meanwhile you are paying for advertising for a full
year at a crack. If you want to know much faster, perhaps before you
write a big check, call a bunch of your customers and ask them how they
found you and analyze the results. You will learn a lot from your
customers and probably pick up some piano business in the process.  Just
tell them you are doing a little survey and would like to ask them a
question. Not very intimidating ... and you'll have your answer in a few
days.

Rooting for you,
Steve

That's the idea Julia,
At a business course that i attended, the message that was repeated
every week was "test and measure" your advertising. No matter what
anyone else says, to find out what works for your business, you need
facts. Someone on this list may say phooey to Yellow Pages or whatever,
but maybe it's good for you, where you're at, at this moment. It's
something else to remember, but if you can ask each caller why they rang
you or where they found your number, then you'll know whether
advertising or referrals are getting you business.

Not greeeying (yet),
Scott Jackson

    From: KeyKat88 at aol.com

    Greeeying

    I think I am going to keep a survey pad by the phone on exactly how
    many customers ask what and when. I need to make more.

    Julia
    Reading, PA

--
"The masses have never thirsted after truth.  Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim."  Gustave Le Bon from his 1896 book "The Crowd"