Whole room humidity control better than Dampp Chaser. ( Right?)

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Mon Feb 18 02:39:40 MST 2008

What is the difference between a DC humidifier in a piano, and a room humidifier sitting even farther away from the action cavity?

If a gallon of water a week disappears into the air, it doesn't matter whether it's from a box sitting on the floor or one hanging under the piano.  Humid air from a DC gets into the action cavity the same way dry air gets in there without a DC.

Sure, whole room humidity control is great, and there are all kinds of special situations (like the church I had that was built *over* a stream), but it's inconsistent to argue that DC moisture can't enter the action cavity, but humid air from a ceiling vent can.

--Cy--
ABQ, NM