Whole room humidity control better than Dampp Chaser. ( Right?)

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 07:38:50 MST 2008

While I'm not eager to call my clients names ("stupid"), I have certainly
seen it happen. There are a variety of types of room humidifiers on the
market. The type which is most liable to abuse are the various vaporizers.
Some of these emit a warm steam. Others blow out a cool but visible mist.
I've seen the result of these positioned directly beneath the soundboard and
it ain't pretty. The excess moisture bleaches the spruce and accelerates
soundboard cracks and rib separations despite the misinformed customers'
good intentions. And I have seen the the cool mist pointed toward the
strings with little regard for the day to day relative humidity.Sometimes
the person who purchases and sets up the humidifier is not the one I spoke
to at the time of the tuning.
Patrick Draine
from the Northeast where the temp and RH dropped into the teens a couple
days ago; right now the outside temp is the mid 50s and pouring rain
(possibly not your climatic range)