Grand pianos for sale to rebuild

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 20:46:53 MST 2008

Rob

Unfortunately, I don't think I would be interested, because the shipping alone?would kill me.

But even if?I was in the area, in my opinion, I don't think those 2 pianos are worth what you're asking. When I moved to Alabama, I took with me a Baldwin F, that was rebuilt with new block and strings, and refinished. Wally Brooks personally voiced his hammers at a seminar in St. Louis, and Tim Coats installed the Wappin bridge in the upper treble. The piano sold for only $8500.?If I were still in St. Louis, I might be able to get roughly $6000 for the L when fully restored. Considering the cost of the parts, and my cost to have the piano refinished, that would give me a profit margin of only $2000 - $2500.?Considering it will take roughly 200 hours to do the work, that means I'll be working at $10 an hour.?Now, if I had nothing to do, and I wanted to rebuild this piano for the experience, then it would be worth it, but still not $3000. Baldwin's just aren't getting what they used to. Just my 2 cents worth.

PS. The customer you referred to me never called.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of