CF carbon fiber lever

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:39:59 MST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Jurgen Goering <
pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com> wrote:

> I am planning to get Charles to make me a custom tuning lever using
> some ebony I have.   I was just thinking of getting his standard  (up
> to now) titanium shaft.  Do you think the carbon shaft is that much
> superior?

You'd have to run some calculations to determine flex (deflection) for both
shafts.  That would provide some hard numbers to compare to rather than
going by feel alone.

Some time back, I did some head-scratching for making a lever, and came up
with a deflection calculator for different shaft configurations.  I can
easily plug the dimensions of the titanium and CF shafts in my deflection
spreadsheet and see what deflection would look like on paper.  I would need
lengths and diameters, and the wall thickness of the CF tube.  It would
calculate only the deflection of the shaft, and would not factor in handles
or heads.

I remember (I think) that you really need at least a 1" CF tube to get
significantly better deflection than a steel lever of the same length.
 (Assuming solid steel around 7-8" and around 5/8" in diameter.)  The Fujan
is 1.25" OD.  The Faulk is half that, which means the deflection would be
more.  However, the length of the tube appears shorter.  Which means that
deflection might not be so bad.  It might not even be an issue.  I'd be glad
to run the numbers since I have already worked through the stinkin'
formulas.  :-)

> The head on the carbon tool seems a bit big and bulky (it is
> a lot bigger than on the titanium shaft) - does that interfere with
> sight lines when moving the tool for pin to pin?

I definitely get that with the Fujan.  But, since it is so light, I work
around it.  Light is so much enjoyable to work with.

--
JF