Tuning lever length

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 05:29:45 MST 2008

I'm a smooth-pull tuner, applying slight impact only when appropriate.
I feel the torque of the pin and overpull accordingly and make a
diminishing series of + & - motions to set the pin and string with
a final slight + motion to keep the front section of string length
at a minutely higher tension than on the speaking length side
of the counter bearing friction.  A lower tension on this forward
string segment would be more apt to allow this lower tension to
creep across the counter bearing making for a less stable tuning,
a final + lilt (nudging pin torque) braces the string better.

As with moving or lifting a piano, apply force and increase effort
until the desired motion is achieved, don't heave your body into it.

I carry two stationary levers 9.5" & 11.5" and a Hale 10.5" with
interchangeable heads for strut clearance. Which one I'll use
depends on pin torque and clearance issues. For concert work
I prefer the 9.5".
--

Regards,

Jon Page