alleged unethical and illegal behavior on the part of some

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Feb 29 18:44:05 MST 2008

A little additional perspective: Nobody was trying to rip off PPA. Alan owns
at least one copy as do most members of the list. Alan's intent certainly
was not to provide information so no one would have to purchase the book. He
was only trying to be helpful and didn't quite think through what he was
doing, for which he has already apologized.

The fact is, PPA is not publishing the information in an electronic form,
something that would be very beneficial and something that apparently others
want. Personally I see nothing immoral or unethical in Alan's actions of
copying the information for his own use to an electronic form. He already
purchased it, he is only transferring it into a more usable format, a format
that the publisher refuses to provide. Those who control the big guns and
prisons may decree it to be "illegal" at some point. But they don't
determine morality for me.

As far as the premise that distributing information electronically for
"free" detracts from sales and royalties, the whole Napster episode seems to
demonstrate otherwise. At the height of all the music file sharing where
people were getting music for free the sales of music went through the roof.
While it is true that some utilized Napster to "rip off" the music companies
and get all their music for free, many more simply used it to preview music
before going out to purchase their own copies. The result was more $$$ in
the pockets of the music industry. They only shot themselves in the foot by
shutting Napster down.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272