Pianos on curved church floors

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Thu May 22 22:14:40 MDT 2008

Hi,

Tell me does a grand on its side play?  Why wouldn't almost an inch and a
half make any difference in how it plays?

Someone could have even from the Yamaha factory treated the guide felt with
something and I'm not sure that this has anything to do with more
compression of the felt on one side.

Just a warning I've seen other pianos with guide rail bushing holes reamed
so much that the damper wire rattles and leans into what felt is left.
Reaming the hole more won't fix binding because the wire is bent wrong. It
has to travel straight through the guide rail holes and with the pull of
gravity or more friction will be added.

Jessica Masse

RPT Piano Technicians Guild

Proprietor, Ebony and Ivory Piano Company