Seasoning Dampers

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sun May 25 18:40:38 MDT 2008

I believe the bean bag is to hold the dampers while tightening the screws, it saves some of the re-adjust, re-tighten circle of refinement that we go through on installing dampers. I've never heard of weighting down the heads to seat the felt, that sounds destructive to me but is just MO.
Using blocks of wood of the same dimension as your damper felt to dry fit the damper heads before gluing on the felt can be a big help in getting felt to seat properly. All that's left is the left/right alignment of the felt which can be accomplished by installing the damper with the glue wet and making small corrections in the alignment before the glue sets. Another way is to set the felt in position on the strings and then lower the damper down on top.
Fenton