the economy

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Wed Oct 8 21:59:21 MDT 2008

Big DA,
Thanks Man.
Fenton
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Andersen
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 8:16 AM
  Subject: Re: the economy

  On Oct 8, 2008, at 7:43 AM, Barbara Richmond wrote:
    I still think the best way (for me, at least) is to find and keep the people who really want to take care of their pianos by booking ahead with them (like the dentist). These folks are the core of my business. Because they know my work and trust me, they refer me to other people, their churches and they provide me with the bigger shop jobs.

  Hey kids----in the new economy---which we're in, seemingly overnight---the Darwinian conventional wisdom phrase changes:
  it's not "only the strong survive;" it's "only the trusted survive." In this era we're being catapulted into, the value of work, of service done right by a trusted, interesting, "value-added" person becomes huge. Everything on the economic margins will die. The piano technician who has developed relationships, tells the truth, and brings calm, confidence, and fun when he/she arrives will survive and prevail. Those who show up distracted, worried, complaining, and cranky will see their businesses dwindle and fail.

  The technicians that take advantage of ALL THE TRAINING AND MENTORING they can will thrive; the technicians that offer complete piano service, and can make a radical positive change in the sound and feel of a piano will thrive. Dale Erwin and I are looking forward to teaching two complete all-day classes at the CERS conference in Chicago this weekend. The men and women who show up, in large part, are the future of this business, the elite, and I want to welcome you all. I'm excited. Dale and I will paint a very simple and clear picture of how you need to be to prevail in these rocky financial times, and we'll have big fun and do good work.

  It's a true pleasure to have my own business, to have at least some of my own destiny in my hands.

  Best,
  David Andersen