waves

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sun Oct 12 10:53:38 MDT 2008

A wave thread!? David Love and I just finished some reminiscing off list about this. Santa Cruz is home break for me for most of my 54 years. Pleasure Point for the last 25, I followed the long board rise and fall and rise again. Lot's of mat surfing back in the 60's. I used to go down to Rincon, and a little place called Refugio above Santa Barbara, Swami's, Blacks by S.D., San O. (love San Onofre) and wonderful Malibu. Southern Cal has a wonderful feel to it, but I think Santa Cruz has got so many breaks it might just be Surf City, and I live here! There a beach break (Manresa) 5 miles from my house I go to sometimes, great work out with occasional sand bars producing some perfect peelers. I surfed a little in Hawaii on the North Shore of Oahu, but in the summer, got great waves in Maui at Honolua Bay. I'm basically scared of big waves, but love chest to head high. I played in rock bands in Colorado all through the '70's and learned to ski there, skiing's a little rough for me now, but surfing is so fluid, I'm virtually never injured. If the water becomes so polluted it's burning out there, I'll still surf. I'm careful after the rains by the river mouths, that's about all you can do.
Fenton