Best approach for acquiring new business.

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Oct 21 15:23:37 MDT 2008

Hey Shawn,

The figure they show is usually what they mean, not "commenserate with
experience". They will offer the job at the rate they offer!   What you
have to do is sell them on your dollar figure and close the deal on why
you are worth more than  so and so..and what you can offer as a benefit to
the university.  When offered, state your entry level you're comfortable
with.  They'll either take it or leave it.   That's a hard row to
hoe....Once you're in, however, it's really hard to get more than the
usual raise!  I'm learning that the hard way, but at least I started at a
decent start. I should have asked for more....

Paul

"Shawn Brock" <shawnbrock at fuse.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
10/21/2008 12:46 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

"Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Best approach for acquiring new business.

Paul,

I agree with you 100 percent on pretty much everything you said.  I am not
knocking CAUT workers at all.  Anyone can see the benefits of those
positions, however some of those jobs are just hideous!  Picture this, I
was asked to apply for a university job here in the Midwest.  The school
has 100 pianos and the advertised pay range was one of the lowest that
CAUT workers have witnessed in the past 8 years.  The Director of the
Music Department swore to me that they had to advertise the lowest offered
pay amount because of some state regulations.  So dumb me goes down and
takes the Civil Service exam, works on 2 badly neglected instruments and
goes through the interview process only to find out that the pay offered
is as exactly the amount advertised.  So I had 2 trips totaling 1400
miles, basically 4 days of lost work not to even speak of my fuel, food
and lodging costs.  All of this just to find out the University had more
or less lied about the hole thing.  All of my time and hopes were wasted
on a job that would have paid just shy of $28000 per year.  I didn't spend
all this time studying, apprenticing, going to school to gain the
necessary knowledge and skills that would make me more employable,
studying for and passing the RPT exams and constantly trying to better my
self as a tuner and technician to take an almost poverty level job.  A
short time into my apprenticeship I asked my mentor what I had to do to
get one of these university positions.  His reply was that I needed to go
to school.  He said that would give me more valuable experience in a short
time than anything else and make me more employable.  So that's what I
did.  While in school I asked the same question to my instructors and
other members of the PTG, the answer was to get my RPT.  So I did that and
while I'm ecstatic to be an RPT who's graduated from an accredited piano
technology institution I can't say that it has helped me a hole lot on the
employment front.  So, here I am making more money than a lot of the CAUT
folks but I have a lot more expenses to go with it.

Regards,
 Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563
www.shawnbrock.com