[pianotech] Clarification Question: i'll take a pass

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Aug 30 16:09:33 MDT 2009

>>I do it often, and upon looking at the card inside, I find
that the room RH% when last tuned was 26%, and the room RH%
today is 67% - or whatever. Attached is a photo of the back of
one of these cards. It won't matter where the A/C duct is in
relation to the piano with numbers like this. And this is the
norm.
Ron N<<

You are correct, Ron, that numbers like that do present problems for tuning
stability. But that isn't really what the discussion between us has been
about. You refuse to acknowledge that a/c air coming out of the vent is at a
very high RH. Even here you forcefully assert that it makes no difference
where the vent is in relation to the piano.

One of the pianos I previously spoke of encountering with the a/c blowing on
it had a full dampchaser system with a back cover. Yet it was still going
substantially sharp. If I am to take your advice then, the a/c vent blowing
on it is of no consideration.

Is that really what you are advocating? I hope not. Because lots of other
techs reading this list rightfully (most of the time) take what you say to
be gospel when it comes to piano care. This writer included.

Dean