[pianotech] smart phone vs. pda

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Tue Jan 6 14:18:46 PST 2009

On 6, Jan 2009, , at Tuesday, 6January12:44, David Ilvedson wrote:

Well, I have a Treo 650 Palm, and can share my experience with it with
you.
The first thing I'd do is to buy a new battery for your existing unit
and see if that
cures the problem.

The 650 I have was purchased new from Verizon, about 3 years ago.  It
has
worked well, after an initial problem where it would just shut down
for no good
reason.

However, recently, it has started that same problem again.  I've
looked on the
Internet for possible repair/replace sources and one source said it
sounded
like the contacts between the battery and the phone were going
intermittent
which would cause this problem.  I've sent the phone off to them to
have them
look at it and possibly replace the contact pad in the phone.  If this
DOES
cure the problem then it was likely a manufacturing defect since I had
the same
problem early on.  Estimated cost here is $10 for "diagnostic service"
plus
parts & labor--estimate under $100.

Don't send it to Palm--they want $295 to "repair" it (which I'm sure
means
sending you another rebuilt one).

wjmwjm at asisna.comPowerMac G5, 1.8G Dual PPC, 1G RAM, 160G Disk, OSX
10.5.3