[pianotech] smart phone vs. pda

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 08:35:14 PST 2009

Palm PDAs have only a 90 warranty.  My Tungsten E2 died recently, after 11 months, and I thought it was still under warranty.  Imagine, a $350 item that is only warranteed for 90 days.  I would never buy another expensive Palm product, considering the lack of warranty and the frequency with which they break down.  (The longest I've ever had one continue to function was about 22 months.)

So this time, I bought the cheapest Palm available, a Z-22 for $75 and it's already acting up.  I called Palm and told them of my problems (It occasionally will not turn on.   The battery is fully charged but it's just dead.  Do a hard sync and it's fine again.) and they wouldn't take it back and look at it.  I can only hope that it totally dies within 90 days of my purchase of it, otherwise, I'm SOL.

Just a word of warning to the rest of you.   Check the warranty on that Palm product before you buy it.  I've had Palm PDAs for about ten years, but no more.  They don't stand behind their products.

Tom Sivak
Chicago