[pianotech] Piano not in tune

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Fri Jan 9 06:33:15 PST 2009

I'll jump in here for a minute  ........   I've not read all the responses
but  ...........

Synthesized frequencies are generated mathematically.  One frequency is
divided into 12 top octave notes and those are then cut in half for each
octave below.

A nicely tuned piano has stretched octaves in the treble defying
mathematics.

An electronic keyboard is stable as hell against an acoustic piano that
drifts all over the place with air currents drifting about the room.

To expect an electronic keyboard to be exactly in tune with an acoustic
piano is an insult by me.  Hiding that part of me in the trunk of my car
parked at the curb, I try to impress on the customer that their expectations
are unreasonable and that I will never try to match an electronically
synthesized tone source with an acoustic piano made of materials that expand
and contract daily.  I can get it close but not beat free across the board.

Lar