[pianotech] Rebushing - New Article

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 09:01:09 PST 2009

At 21:38 -0600 8/1/09, John Formsma wrote:

>I was taught to insert the pin, wait for the glue to dry, remove the
>pin, then trim flush. I'll try your way next time.

Well that's what I do too.  These two pictures show the bushing after
the pin has been inserted:

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/rebushing_hammers/rebushing_13.jpg>
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/rebushing_hammers/rebushing_14.jpg>

and I leave the pins in until the glue is thoroughly dry.  The
business of trimming the inside and then pulling through for the
other side is simply to save cloth, or rather to save time making
twice as many strips.  It is just as good to do just one pull and
leave a single cylinder of cloth passing through both sides, but it
uses more cloth.

JD