[pianotech] antique plate cracks, weld or junk it?

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 21:49:42 PST 2009

Local auction house has an antique "Ludv. Wulff,  KJOBENHAVN"  grand with two plate cracks in the vicinity of the tuning pins for octave five.

The pinblock is open, and the cracks are right where the plate "ends" and the pinblock begins.  A major stress concentrator, I'm sure.

Auctioneer wants to have the plate welded and piano restrung, thinking he can get several thousand $$ based on the appearance of the fancy case.  I suppose it would bring a couple hundred $$ without repairs, if that.

For those who have successfully repaired plate cracks, does this one look workable?  I've never dealt with plate repair, and certainly not an antique, open block plate at that.

Photos attached.

Thanks,
Greg Graham