[pianotech] peeling soundboard decal on Wurlitzer grand

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Mon Jan 19 17:04:56 PST 2009

A couple of days ago I tuned a nearly new Korean-built Wurlitzer baby grand.  The soundboard decal was curling up around the edges, to the point where it was buzzing against the strings.  Apparently, nowadays, they just stick them on and don't bother to apply a coat of varnish over the top.  This piano came from a store that was partially destroyed by a fire; the piano showed no signs of damage, but perhaps the extremely dry, hot air caused the decal to peel.

Anyway, I guess it would be fairly easy to apply some glue with a chopstick or something and press the decal back down, but what type of glue to use?  Naturally, it should be something that dries clear.  Contact cement?  Thick CA?  Something else?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik