[pianotech] cold pianos

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jan 21 14:38:58 PST 2009

Speaking of cold pianos.....(with a bright sun shining on it...)

I wonder who tuned the Steinway piano for the inauguration yesterday and
how they tuned it??? I heard Yo Yo Ma used a "special" cello...not his
strad (good move!)

Anyone know??

Paul

Don <pianotuna at yahoo.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
01/21/2009 04:24 PM
Please respond to
pianotuna at yahoo.com; Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

PTG <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[pianotech] cold pianos

Hi Barbara,

For every two degrees F difference between the storage and the stage tune
about 1 cent sharp. The lights will still make the pianos go miserably out
of tune.

I don't have a lot of data for this yet--mostly what I have garnered from
tuning in rural Churches where no one turned on the heat for me.

Regards,
mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com               http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716

A colleague and I are going to be tuning pianos for the Illinois Music
Educators Association All-State Convention.  Of course, the venues will
store the pianos in not very well heated storage rooms, where we will have
to tune.