[pianotech] Broken Hammer Shanks

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:55:48 PST 2009

Here's something I learned from Jim Harvey:If the shank is broken even with the hammer head, drill a small hole in the middle of the shank. Fill the hole with some water, find yourself a screw (sheetrock screws are good), heat the screw with a bic lighter or a heat gun. This should soften the glue joint and then just pull on the screw with plyers and you have retained the original angle of the hammer head.Thanks JimMarcel Carey, RPTSherbooke, QCDate: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:37:17 -0800From: toddpianoworks at att.netTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: [pianotech] Broken Hammer ShanksI went to service an old player upright today.  There are two broken hammer shanks, which I took with me.

This will be my first go at angle boring, since one of the hammers is in the bass.

I should have everything to do this project, but could I get some e-mails on some suggestions, etc?

Thanks a lot!
TODD PIANO WORKS Matthew Todd, Piano Technician (979) 248-9578
http://www.toddpianoworks.com