[pianotech] Broken Hammer Shanks

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 16:34:39 PST 2009

Todd

How are the shanks broken?? If they are along the grain, in the middle of the shank, instead of replacing it, you can use a plastic straw as a splint. Not all straws are the same diameter, so look around. I know that McDonald straws are too fat.

If it's a clean break, and there is enough shank to grab a hold of, you should try to remove the shank from the butt and/or the hammer using a shank extractor, as found in the catalogues.?

If the break is aright at the butt,?sometimes it's easier to?just replace it, instead of trying to drill it out.?If the break is right at the hammer,?you need to?drill the shank out of the hammer, and you will need the right angle for the bass and low treble hammers. To get the right angle, you can do this using a hammer next to it.?

You should learn to remove the shank from the butt and the hammer, as this is one of the repairs you have to make on the RPT exam. ?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943