[pianotech] Best Way To Fix Loose Pins?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 10:45:16 PST 2009

Sandpaper will do further damage to the hole - and it works only minimally well?

I've used CA many time with fairly good results. However, when there are just a few tuning pins that are loose, I find just as easy and with more predictable results to use sandpaper shims. I usually use about 120 grit. If the pin on only a bit loose, I might use half a wrap. If the pin is quite loose, I'll use a full wrap. Pluse I really like the way a sandpaper-shimmed pin feels when tuning - very nice motion. CA can tend to get a bit jumpy.

So, when there are only a few pins, CA if you wish - it's a good approach - or sandpaper shims - very good approach IMHO.

Don't forget to put rough side of paper toward the wood.

Terry Farrell

Ton Sivak replied:
Driving the pin in deeper or using a sandpaper sleeve are reversible actions, but will do further damage to the hole, making the problem more serious.  In my experience, sand paper sleeves work only minimally well in improving pin torque.
Or correct me if I'm not thinking that through correctly.