[pianotech] Best Way To Fix Loose Pins?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Wed Jan 28 11:32:30 PST 2009

It's always great to hear feedback that one of your tips is making someone
else money! :-)

I charge about 2.5 times my tuning rate and give it an 8 year warranty. I
tell people I don't know how long it will last, but I've never had one fail
in the 10 years I've been doing it and I guarantee it for 8 years. When they
compare that to the thousands they know it'll cost for the rebuild they are
usually pretty happy to spend it. I am selling the value added service, the
warranty, which gives them peace of mind that this is a reasonably long fix
that gives them time to amass money for the more expensive repair at a later
date. In other words, the warranty is what they are paying for, not the
actual 20 minutes of time and $10 worth of glue.

There is not much downside to offering the warranty. You can almost always
nurse a piano for 8 years with a variety of tricks. Worst case scenario,
refund the money. You could even legitimately pro-rate the refund based on
how many years the pins did hold.

I have had a couple of CA'd pianos recently that I did some time ago show up
with flakey pins. I gave them a few more drops of CA while working the pin
back and forth with the hammer and they tightened up very nicely. I've also
pulled problematic pins in the past to squirt 4-5 drops directly into the
hole, reinsert the pin, and voila, it works. I've never had that remedy not
work.

I used to use the accelerator, but have since become convinced it works
better without.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272