[pianotech] smooth or rough keys

Carl Teplitski koko99 at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 26 21:43:16 PST 2009

Reading the posts re. washing your hands, led me to asking this question.
Many times in a customers home I've encountered a keyboard that was
slow and sticky. I don't mean sticky, like tacky, but you can't run your fingures
along the keys without feeling drag.   Hate the feeling, so I suggest to the
person I'm dealing with that I show them something that could help make playing
easier .  First I have them drag their fingures along the keys, and then I clean
an octave.  When they run their fingures from the keys that drag to the clean
part, the difference is quite obvious.   Even if they aren't the one playing, they
can see that it should be easier for little Johnny or Mary to perform on clean
keys. Most of the time, on my next visit, the keys are clean.

My question is this:   do most high skilled pianists prefer a smooth shiny
keyboard, or one that has an ivory, sanded type surface?  Not sure if I've
asked the question properly.  When I've steelwooled key tops to get them
smooth , plastic or ivory, there is this feel I'm trying to describe. If it's plastic
for sure, I will buff to high gloss.  Should they be left somewhere a little
before the gloss appears ??     Pretty hard to do, I think.

Carl / Winnipeg