[pianotech] Vertical Touchweight

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon Jul 6 20:48:30 MDT 2009

List,

I'm working on a 41" console piano built by Heintzman in 1965 -- certainly
no gem when it came into my hands. Laminated soundboard, compressed action.
(I grew up with a "real" Heintzman built before 1920.)  Since I see many
such consoles of nediocre quality built during that era, I am experimenting
to see what careful set-up and regulation will do for such an instrument.  I
have rebushed the front rail, adjusted flange friction (butts, wippens and
jacks), dressed the butt "leathers" with a small sanding drum on a rototool,
and lubricated everything using Prolube, TFL-50, Teflon micro-powder and a
bit of CLP.  Crescendo front rail punchings replaced the spongy "shoe
insole" material that came from the factory.  What a difference! Regulation
is mostly done, some preliminary hammer shaping has been done, and the piano
is much more responsive than it was.  It's beginning to feel like a musical
instrument.

My question:  As I begin to delve for the first time into the world of
touchweight, what can I expect to find in terms of friction, and what should
be my target for balance weight?  The journal reprints and the archives have
been very helpful, but most of the material is aiming at grand pianos.  Some
preliminary measurements suggest that I might find friction levels
considerably lower than 12 grams, but I'm still getting the hang of deciding
what kind of movement of the key tells me that I've found the downweight and
the upweight.

Or to put some things more directly:

If I'm getting friction readings of 6 to 10 grams, with flange friction at 5
to 6 hammer swings, the jack falling under its own weight, and the wippen
flange falling under the weight of a screw when tapped, is this normal, or
is my measuring technique suspect?

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter