[pianotech] Piano wire

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Jul 15 05:26:58 MDT 2009

I was tuning a 9' Steiff grand the other day and a single bass string broke.
The note below it was already spliced and I had to splice a wire in the tenor.

I mic'd the core at .060 (27.5 gage), so I need a piece of .061 (28 gage).
I've found that bass strings spices should be a size larger than the core.

I'm waiting to hear from a customer whose M&H BB broke a poorly replaced
bass string last week. I suggested that it would be a good time to
replace the set.
If he opts for the single replacement I can request the core splice
when I order
the string but in the mean time it'd be good to find a source.
--

Regards,

Jon Page