[pianotech] My best, and my regrets

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jul 15 10:55:43 MDT 2009

Esteemed colleagues and beloved friends-----

I'm sad to say that for the first time in a while I won't be joining
those of you in Grand Rapids this year. I've got some physical
challenges right now---an inflamed right hip joint and, a new little
gift from my body: lumbar dysplasia (what they used to call a slipped
disc with a pinched nerve and a spasmed muscle in your lower back.) It
"went out" nine days ago and is still a big factor day-to-day, so I
decided to stay in L.A.
this week to continue chiropractic treatments, rest, restorative yoga
and icing. I'm happy to be not traveling and on my feet for a week,
but sad to miss all the precious downloads, both personal and
technical. I love these conferences, and I wish I were there right now.

The only class-esque duty I had, other than to be an available and
alert Steingraeber guy, was to do a "Tuning Concert" in the Pianotech
Live class period with my friend Kent Swafford; then we would compare
my whole-tone, open-string, "following the rolling fourths" tuning
with Bernhard Stopper's OnlyPure tuning software note-for-note, and
see what this "angels flying out of the piano when you tune" thing is
all about.

Sadly, we won't be doing that. I'm sure this motley crew can find
other equally bracing and vivid issues to chew on in my absence...

Again, I express my deep gratitude to all my friends and colleagues in
our little world; this is a rough time for the piano business, and
your support for me, and the opportunity for me to support you, is
precious indeed. Thank you.

THIS JUST IN: my close friend and collaborator David Stanwood is
bringing something to this conference that will literally knock your
pianistic socks off. It's revolutionary in a perfectly practical and
good way, and I believe it's going to be a big part of our little
world henceforth.
DO NOT FAIL to check it out thoroughly.

Warmest regards,

David Andersen