[pianotech] Stage Lighting & Tuning

Alexander Lass lasspiano at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 20:15:06 MDT 2009

List,

I am interested in your experiences/impressions/techniques in tuning
for the concert stage or any situation where intense lighting is
expected.  I attended Steve Brady's class at the convention this past
week and all he said about the issue was, "if the lights are off when
I get there, I tune in the dark.  If they're on, I tune with all the
lights on.  Otherwise I'm chasing the pitch around the piano."  This
makes sense but I'm wondering if there is anything one can do to
compensate for the changes in pitch as the lights shine down.  My
observations are as follows:

-Immediately after the lights go on there is a drop in pitch across
the scale
-As time goes on, the treble (notably octaves 6 and 7) continues to
drop in pitch
-After 5-10 minutes of exposure, the bass begins to come back to pitch
and then beyond (even sharper)
-Only after 90 minutes or so does the pitch stabilize, leaving the
piano with a very narrow tuning

Have others noticed similar changes (or different)?  If so, do you do
anything about it?

Thanks in advance,

Alex Lass
Chicago