[pianotech] Old Kranich and Bach Grand

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 14:12:23 MDT 2009

Hello Clark,

   If you cannot get new  jacks I would  suggest using
new  Baldwin  " regular " jacks. I have used  them for
years.  The   "spiral "rep. spring fits perfectly into the
hole at the  back of  the Baldwin  jack    SCHAFF  #
 24541E

   There is one addition you will have to make. The _K at B_ (mailto:K at B)
jack adjustment in the rep. window is at the  bottom of the
 whip. under the jack   For a long time I  would glue a  wood
 "tip" cut from a shank under the new jack..

      However I  found that it was easer to  use screws, the
longer, ones from the  brass seizure of  upright dampers  or
brass  flange repair clips screwed in to a small hole drilled
into the bottom of jack. I also changed the wood adjustment
buttons on the whip to leather (  the old  wood buttons  tend
to break).
   _K at B_ (mailto:K at B)   action tendencies, The  small sliding  medal rods
that are used to change the hammer blow distance are bad
about squeaking I suggest you replace the leather.
    Also they are prone to have a heavy touch I suggest  you
install very light hammers no more than ten grams or  less
 at the # one hammer.   On this  action  you  can lower the
down weight  from one to two grams by clipping the  centers.

     To the  person  who   wanted a little back ground on this
Co.  I will do some research  tonight send something  tomorrow.

 Hope this helps-- Regards  to all,

Jack Wyatt
Dallas

**************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your