[pianotech] Old Kranich & Bach Grand

Bill Thompson bthompson40207 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 26 15:02:47 MDT 2009

Check out these two projects by Ray's Piano Service.  They both utilized complete wippen and hammer replacement.  Off the shelf wippens were used with slight modification and then the rail angle was changed to correct the geometry by shaving the rail in a planer..

1895 Kranich & Bach Grand 6'1", Reconditioned, Regulated

1899 Kranich & Bach Grand 6'1", Reconditioned, Regulated

http://www.rayspiano.com/A11-PreviousProjects.htm

Bill Thompson

Behalf
> Of Clark A. Sprague
> Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:35 PM
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: [pianotech] Old Kranich and Bach Grand
>

> Hi, all!  It sure was nice to see a lot of you at Grand Rapids, and to put
> faces with names.  What a great resource this list is.
>     That said, I went to an old Kranich and Bach grand today, that had the
> board shimmed, new pinblock, new hammers with shanks and flanges.  But,
> alas, not new whippens.  The old things are letting go glue joints,
notably
> the jack tenders.  Whoever did the job meticulously replaced all those
> notorious little spring cords, but now glue joints are failing.
>     Having talked about new whippens with the customer,  nothing in the
> Renner kit works, or the Pianotek catalog, or the new WNG kit so
graciously
> given out in GR.  It seems that the K&B whip is shorter in the distance
from
> the flange center to the jack center.
>     Anybody ever modify whips to accomplish the task?  Or what?   Besides
> the obvious answer of a match and some flammable liquid!  Customer seems
> want to spend the money.
>
> Clark A. Sprague, RPT
> csprague4 at woh.rr.com

End of pianotech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 191