[pianotech] Glue for hammers - question

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 8 07:04:04 MDT 2009

All of these are good speculations, but without testing they are
metaphysics.

Do you think changing the glue at the hammer joint will make the caster stop
rattling?

Is it possible the shock of the key hitting the keybed is what causes the
caster to rattle?

Can you make the caster rattle by imobilizing the system and striking the
tip of the hammer with a dowel?

At the moment the hammer strikes the string, it is only connected to the
piano at the flange center, around the center pin, with bushing cloth that
is also flexible. The kinetic energy of the moving hammer assembly passes to
the string through the hammer felt, which is very flexible. The wood hammer
shank is also flexible. Hide glue is hygroscopic, so its flexibility will
change with the relative humidity, as well as according to the grade of hide
glue used. Because of this, I question how, in typical situations, a
difference of glue will make a difference in sound.

If someone does an experiment, how will we test and quantify the sound
differences, if any? What kind of piano? What kind of hammer? What kind of
blow? What notes? With or without pedal?

Susan Langer speculated that our brains are organized such that any
grammatically correct sentence seems to be true. We need to be careful of
that.

Ed Sutton