[pianotech] sluggish (was no subject)

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Sat Jun 13 15:46:43 MDT 2009

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 13 09:48:12 MDT 2009
> I agree with Wim in that I too, have never had to add weights to the
> backs
> of any Wurlitzer as this has never been the problem with any of them
> that
> I've worked on and I have worked on a lot of them in the last 35
> years of
> full time tuning.

Gerald, Wim,

I couldn't help but notice the reference to all these years of service
and never once having to add weights to any Wurlitzer Console or
Studio product to rectify sluggish return of the keys. This includes
the Rudolph Wurlitzer line as well. I find this a remarkable testimony.

I have about the same amount of time in the piano business as you
guys, and I, like Ron Nossaman, have found examples of some of these
Wurlitzer pianos to be quite contrary to your findings. During my time
in this business I have serviced one hundred and fifty-six (156)
Wurlitzer Consoles and forty-six (46) Wurlitzer Studios.

There has definitely been more than one occasion where adding
keyweights was necessary to insure the key returned to its home
position. Perhaps you missed the amusing comment by Ron where he
actually has scraped wood off the C8 with a knife to remedy poor key
return. Been there with the scraping concept, but not with C8, Ron.
Thanks for another method of madness btw.

Keith