[pianotech] Damper Pedal

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jun 15 18:15:20 MDT 2009

> The broken rod hanger that others have mentioned is the likely cause.

Yes it is. Now, in all the years, with all of these I've
replaced, I've seen very few that couldn't be replaced by
knocking the old one out, driving in a new one (Schaff #545,
$4.18 per 100), and bending it to fit. It's a field repair. No
brazing, no welding, no soldering, no JB Weld, and the fix
takes considerably less time than getting to the silly thing.
I've also found them handy for pivot pins and tooling locators
for sundry jigs and contraptions of various ilk through the
years. Maybe I just haven't run into all those weird sized
ones that these pins won't work on. If so, I'm glad.

Oh yes, the few I found that these didn't work on (they could
be a tad longer in some cases), I fluted (swaged) the end of
an appropriate sized rod with a cold chisel and drove it in
just like the commercially available pins.
Ron N